Help for Domestic Violence Victims
Being trapped in an abusive relationship is a terrifying ordeal. Many victims are afraid to stay — but are more afraid to leave. If you or someone you know is involved in a domestic violence situation, reach out for help. Domestic violence attorneys represent abused individuals in divorce and child custody matters, in addition to related legal issues. Having a highly qualified attorney on your side is crucial during these difficult and painful times.
Here are resources and tips for domestic violence victims looking to remove themselves from a dangerous situation:
- Call. Contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE) to find out about local resources for domestic violence victims in your area.
- Stay. Visit WomensLaw.org to find domestic violence shelters in your area.
- Fight. Call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency. File criminal charges against your abuser when appropriate. File a protective order when necessary.
- Change. Create new usernames and passwords for your email, online banking accounts and other personal accounts.
- Heal. Therapy for you and your children can be very beneficial. Review your insurance plan and look around your community for service agencies or organizations that may offer counseling and psychotherapy at discounted rates.
- Support. Search for local domestic violence support groups to connect with others in similar situations.
- Legal. A skilled domestic violence attorney can be your greatest ally, especially if you are married and/or have children with your abuser.
Kemp Law Firm houses a team of compassionate, dedicated and family-oriented attorneys who are devoted to helping domestic violence victims through all of their legal issues.